I woke with the first calls. They start hesitantly. A timid preemptive squeak from the first risers; a premature attempt to initiate the grotesque symphony. But it won’t be long until the cacophony begins.
Grayness creeps into the world. Trees, bushes, and grasses shed their shadowed anonymity and reach toward the heavens, basking in anticipation of the great fire above that warms them. The calls become discordant songs, infernal unharmonious notes spouted from sharp mouths, shattering the stillness and peace with the shrillness of their voices.
This is my time. At the first lightening, before the fire climbs too high. The winged ones are giddy and energetic after the long dark. They become careless. Silly beasts.
I slink beneath the cover of a gnarled shrub, waiting for my chance to approach. Eyeing the vile creatures as they swoop and glide – the endless screaming of their tongues taunting me incessantly.
An unfamiliar scent tickles my nose. A strange scratching noise beckons my ears. I approach the corner of the great shelter and ease my way around, keen eyes searching. One of the giants is reclining in the shade.
I am always wary around these creatures. They are unpredictable and their size makes them dangerous. This one seems subdued, distracted and intent upon something in its lap. Laps are warm and comfortable.
I emerge from the cover and slowly glide towards the behemoth. I stretch and meow dispassionately, rubbing my coat against the chairs and furniture. The great brute takes notice of me and leans down, lowering a massive paw in my direction. As if I’d trust him. I continue the charade until the giant gives up his attempts to capture me and returns to the perusal of his papers. I love papers, almost as much as I love ribbons.
With the giant appeased and hopefully neutralized, I return to my private unending war with the winged beasts. The crescendo of calls has been steadily rising as the light grows stronger.
I prowl slowly to the base of the pole where the creatures land to feed. They barely notice as I take up a poised position within leaping range of the uppermost reaches of their supposed haven.
They flit back and forth from tree branches to pole; stopping for mere seconds to stuff their hungry beaks. At least they must cease their incessant screeching to eat, if only briefly. They’re nervous creatures, really, heads twisting and turning mechanically, hopping frantically from place to place, soaring swiftly through the heavens.
I wait for the appropriate moment to strike. My late start may leave time for only one attempt today. If only that brute hadn’t distracted me from my purpose. I glance over to ensure that the giant is still sitting passively by the shelter. He’s no threat to me at the moment.
I wait for one of the leaders to come into range. A brown thing with red colorings. He is reckless. Imprudent beast.
I spring up and up, my body in absolute coordination - stretching and reaching. My strong jaws clamp on the feathery body. Wringing the life from it with one bite - not even a final squeak escapes. His fellows cry in alarm and fly screaming to higher vantages. Spitting their hate at me as I land delicately back on the ground in perfect balance.
I smile silently around the small mouthful. That’s all the response they will get from me. I retreat to the safety of the shrubs with my trophy. If I leave the body out it will only serve as a warning to them. Their memories are short, they will be back to feeding before long.
I leave my enemy’s carcass in the dirt, unburied. No dignity for him in death. I quench my thirst at the water bowl the kind giant leaves out for me. I allow myself to feel a fleeting moment of triumph at the great battle won today. One less enemy to fight tomorrow.
Their continued singing reminds me of my severe disadvantage in this ongoing struggle. But it is not a fight I will give up. The war continues, but for now, a reprieve.
I stalk back to the shaded cover of the shrubs. The comfortable darkness that will hide me from the bright sky fire.
I glance back to the yard once more before my final retreat. Soon, you wicked creatures; soon the rest of you will meet your end.
Shifting Tide
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment